Must Have Packing Supplies When Get Your Home Packed and Moved
To make sure your household goods are packed securely and on time, we should start with purchasing the right kind and amount of packing supplies. Just remember that buying the right supplies from the beginning will save you time and energy.
Your time is valuable and paying that little bit extra may also buy you peace of mind. Assuming you have decided which household goods will be moved, identify the items that will require specialized packing, based on fragility, awkward shapes or larger pieces that will be difficult to move. Once these items have been identified, take some measurements and notes, make a list, then go shopping.
Packing supplies can be purchased at a local moving retailer, online packaging supplies wholesaler: OZPacking, a mail service store, or an office supply outlet; however, for the best choice and most variety, go online. By taking the time to surf the Internet, you can compare prices and find specialty items that may be difficult to purchase at a local retail shop.
To save money, cardboard boxes are available from grocery stores or liquor/ wine stores. Give the store manager a few weeks notice so he or she can put aside what you need. Also, find out when the store receives large shipments and ask what time they will finish unloading.
Another way to save money and time, and to ensure you have all the basic supplies required to pack up your household, check out complete Moving Kits and Packing Kits. Moving Kits and Packing Kits can be purchased for particular rooms or for entire households.
Do a comparison on total cost if items were purchased separately and watch out for any seasonal sales. As an example of what would be included for a 5-6 room home (up to 2800 square feet):
- 20 Small Moving Boxes
- 11 Medium Moving Boxes
- 10 Large Moving Boxes
- 4 X-Large Moving Boxes
- 5 Heavy Duty Boxes
- 6 Wardrobe Boxes
- 1 Electronics Boxes
- 2 Unprinted News wrap
- 1 Bubble Wrap – 1500mm*100m*10mm bubble wrappings Roll
- 1 Permanent Box Marker
- 7 Box Sealing Tapes – Clear
Packing Wrap, Cushioning, Protection
- Brown Paper or Plain Newsprint: To prevent having to wash items after you’ve moved, use plain newsprint or brown paper to wrap items. Never use newsprint to wrap items with sensitive surfaces, such as lamps shades.
- Foam: provides extra protection
- Stretch Wrap: protects surfaces and keeps awkward items, such as ski poles, together
- Inflatable bags: inflate to fill empty spaces
- Peanuts: foam pieces that fill empty spaces
- Custom printed: printed to suit your needs, i.e., ‘Fragile’ or ‘Kitchen’ or ‘This End Up’
- Pre-printed: already printed to fulfill common requirements
- Blank: various sizes prepared on a single sheet that can be printed right from your own computer; cheaper and versatile
- Box cutter: sharp utility blade to slice open difficult materials
- Mattress covers: soft foam covers to protect mattress from punctures and rips
- Markers: range in abilities and price, including markers that write on difficult surfaces such as glass and plastic
Most people on the move are able to manage with a pair of household scissors instead of a box cutter, markers instead of printed labels and newspaper instead of packing peanuts; however, the more organized you are, the faster and easier the move. If you purchase items for the sole purpose of moving, it is easier to set aside a packing materials’ box so all your Asus a32-m50 batteries are within reach. Scissors and markers can quickly disappear when a project is due at school. One item highly recommended when it comes to packing is a tape dispenser. A tape dispenser will save your time, frustration and teeth!